[aerogear-dev] Android - server endpoint

Glen Daniels glen at thoughtcraft.com
Tue Aug 14 15:42:00 EDT 2012

Hey Marko, all,

So this is indeed cool stuff!  A few comments:

As you say, it's AppEngine-specific.  While it's true that the blogger
Matthias pointed to is trying to replicate the server-side with Jersey,
that's very much not baked, nor is that approach sanctioned by Google as
yet.  At the least we certainly want the AeroGear stuff to work on
OpenShift.

It also looks kind of Eclipse-specific.  Not sure if they expose command
line tools for doing the codegen/etc for use with other IDEs or maven
builds - but hopefully they do.  Eclipse-specificity isn't necessarily a
huge problem but we definitely need to support other IDEs/workflows as
well. ("right?" -- says the die-hard IntelliJ user :) )

All in all this seems to be rather a lot like what AeroGear (and
Parse/Kinvey/Stackmob/etc) is trying to actually become, so perhaps it's
more another competitor in the ecosystem as opposed to something we
really want to use as foundation.  That said, if there are useful pieces
we can borrow, that'd be dandy - i.e. if we're really happy with their
wire-level API and codegen tools then perhaps there'd be a way to
leverage those things with a JBoss backend.

Finally, their stuff isn't public yet, so it would seem somewhat
challenging to hitch to their wagon in the near term even if we wanted to.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
--Glen