[aerogear-dev] Android - server endpoint

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Aug 15 08:13:51 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Glen Daniels <glen at thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hey Marko, all,
>
> So this is indeed cool stuff!  A few comments:
>
> As you say, it's AppEngine-specific.  While it's true that the blogger
> Matthias pointed to is trying to replicate the server-side with Jersey,
> that's very much not baked, nor is that approach sanctioned by Google as
> yet.

true, but I liked the idea that he is exchanging the proprietary Google.
And also we don't really care about the google platform :-)

> At the least we certainly want the AeroGear stuff to work on
> OpenShift.

> It also looks kind of Eclipse-specific.  Not sure if they expose command
> line tools for doing the codegen/etc for use with other IDEs or maven

I saw the usage of CLI tool to generate the ObjC bits

> builds - but hopefully they do.  Eclipse-specificity isn't necessarily a
> huge problem but we definitely need to support other IDEs/workflows as
> well. ("right?" -- says the die-hard IntelliJ user :) )
>
> All in all this seems to be rather a lot like what AeroGear (and
> Parse/Kinvey/Stackmob/etc) is trying to actually become, so perhaps it's
> more another competitor in the ecosystem as opposed to something we
> really want to use as foundation.  That said, if there are useful pieces
> we can borrow, that'd be dandy - i.e. if we're really happy with their
> wire-level API and codegen tools then perhaps there'd be a way to
> leverage those things with a JBoss backend.

Areogear is providing client libs, to be used by apps;

If I understand it correctly, the google thing is gereating app libs
(for a certrain app)
which uses under the cover SOMETHING (from google) for http communication.
Basically their differenclient libs, like

- http://code.google.com/p/google-api-objectivec-client/
- http://code.google.com/p/gtm-http-fetcher/
(for iOS)

at SOMETHING (the client libs) is what we are after, right now …

> Finally, their stuff isn't public yet, so it would seem somewhat
> challenging to hitch to their wagon in the near term even if we wanted to.

I can't even find examples of generated source, and in order to get
access to the 'google thing',
you need to sign up (not really up for it :-))

-Matthias