[aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

Jay Balunas jbalunas at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 13:21:45 EDT 2012

On Aug 23, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2012, at 19:40, Jay Balunas wrote:
>

>> On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> You must use the maven artifactid or the default final name as the war final name as otherwise you will break JBoss Tools and m2e.
>>>
>>> This is a long outstanding issue with JBoss Tools.
>>
>> Iirc you can still override with web.xml setting through - correct?
>
> No, the context root *must* be the same as the artifact id. I agree, it's a pita.

>>> Well then I would suggest we try to address it for all projects, rather than creating silos.
>>
>> Right, which is why for the quickstart and archetypes we're sticking to convention.  AeroGear's own examples can use what ever naming scheme is best suited for it.
>
> Well, they really should follow the general conventions we use JBoss wide, this is discussed as I mentioned in TAG-16, which applies to all projects.

I just did a quick look through TAG-16 (and the resolution doc), but there does not seem to be any mention of naming conventions at all.  Maybe I'm missing it...

>> I would certainly second an attempt to simplify the quickstart naming, but don't have time to push it.
>
> Well, even just raising it as an issue would be a good start. As Matthias says, this isn't great on a mobile, which wasn't raised when the original guidelines were written.

Honestly imo, I don't think we should defining/enforcing naming conventions for examples across projects.  JDF is another matter as you're going for consistency across quickstarts, but I don't think that ticket monster should be "jboss-as-errai-html5-jsf-ticket-monster" :-)

> Matthias, can you please raise a TAG issue so we can *all* be mobile friendly, not just aerogear. You can assign the issue to me.

I would just recommend adding it as a note for consideration - i.e. shorting application names make accessing examples from mobile devices easier.