[aerogear-dev] [android] Response headers case sensitivity

Marko Strukelj marko.strukelj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:33:10 EST 2012

*At the moment our Android library is sensitive to response header cases.
What that means is that if a web server returns auth-token: xxxx-xxxx
instead of Auth-Token: xxxx-xxxx our RestAuthenticationModule fails to find
the token.

I found this interesting issue on the topic:
https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/1954
HTTP Spec indeed says that headers are case-insensitive. But the whole
world seems to go towards a more practical approach of case sensitivity, as
it’s simpler to lookup headers that way.

Incidentally, I discovered this while using an integration testing module
I’ve been working on:
https://github.com/mstruk/exploratorium-android-rest(it's a work in
progress).

The rationale is that really testing the code means going through as much
of a real runtime as possible - like using Arquillian ...

At first I thought it was HttpClient, and HttpURLConnection APIs
lowercasing the headers. Turned out it was the embedded HTTP server.

The question in this case is do we call this an issue or is this something
we don’t care about.*
*
*
*- marko