[aerogear-dev] New Android Pipeline

Marko Strukelj mstrukel at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 12:23:28 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Marko Strukelj <mstrukel at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Marko Strukelj
> >> <mstrukel at redhat.com>

> >> Not sure I follow your 'you never operate on a child resource' ...
> >> For
> >> me the 'http://hostname/customers/100' is a child resource (->
> >> member
> >> of the 'customers' collection)... So a PUT (for updates) against
> >> that
> >> 'http://hostname/customers/100' URI, is IMO doing the work on the
> >> child (member of the collection).... while, yes, the
> >> 'http://hostname/customers/100/orders' is a collection on a child
> >> resource (=> the 'orders collection' of the customer #100)
> >>

> Hello,
>
> > I mean in terms of HttpRestAdapter methods. One instance of
> > HttpRestAdapter represents one URL which (I assert) ATM always
> > maps to a resource-type URL - i.e. http://hostname/customers, not
> > http://hostname/customers/100.
> >

> The Pipe (public) API maps to to the 'customers' pipe, for instance:
>
> Pipeline pipeline = new Pipeline("http://hostname");
> Pipe<Customer> customersPipe = pipeline.add("customers",
> Customer[].class);
>
> ATM, internally there is one 'http client' (e.g. HttpRestAdapter),
> that operates (currently) on the 'http://hostname/customers'
> endpoint.
>
> So it supports something like this:
>
> // read ONE customer:
> Customer c = customersPipe.read("100");
>
> // give me ALL
> List<Customer> allCustomers = customersPipe.read();
>
> which means, currently the ONE 'http client' object (read:
> HttpRestAdapter object) operates here on those 'two' URLs:
> - http://hostname/customers (base url)
> - http://hostname/customers/{id} (for a specific customer entity)

Ok, I imagined it to work this way. And registering different types is required in order to have a working marshal/unmarshal - a layer wrapped around GET/POST/... layer handled by HttpRestAdapter.

So Pipes is already a more of a business type layer - specifically - a remote persistence layer for us.

> > So on HttpRestAdapter("http://hostname/customers") operations
> > operating on 'child' resources would be get(100), delete(100),
> > put(100, data). While operations operating on a resource itself
> > would be get(), and post().
> >
> > That's why I propose a slightly different operation naming scheme:
> > getChild(100), deleteChild(100), putChild(100, data). Even
> > postChild(101, data) if that made some sense - id field in data
> > would then have to be null for this to make sense. You still keep
> > get() for list of all children, delete() for removal of all
> > children (if we support a removal of a single child, then why not
> > removal of all children?), post(data) for adding new child when
> > and only when server is supposed to assign ID, while put(data)
> > makes no sense.
>
> Ah, so, internally ... a mapping like this would occur:
>

> customersPipe.read("100") ==> restAdapter.getChild(givenId);
> customersPipe.read();   ==> restAdapter.get();

Yes.

> But, that still IMO would be done with the one object
> (this.httpProvider)...

Yes. So that makes Pipes API for java a wrapper around HttpRestAdapter.
Also from this a gather that Pipes API does not use GET/POST/PUT/DELETE naming scheme, but it is closely aligned with it nonetheless.