[aerogear-dev] AEROGEAR-299 - Android persistence library

Marko Strukelj mstrukel at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 17:23:49 EDT 2012

I agree, that would be awesome.

The issue needs some more describing though, so maybe we should first define it better.

I suppose it's Android local persistence that we're talking about here, not remote persistence - which is what Pipes API covers?

It would be good to outline any requirements that we might envision. For example this layer will take part in synchronization - well, I suppose synchronization will use it, maybe listen to some events at this layer, do inserts ...

Implementation-wise Android comes with OOTB SQLite, but we like to work with objects / entities. There are some existing ORM libraries specifically for Android ... Maybe we want to use some of those projects, or maybe we want to do something of our own. Maybe something that looks more like JPA. Or not, it all depends on our requirements.

Therefore I think, that before we start developing something new, we really should put down some features we want of this library. I.e.:

1) Fast, and small
2) Ergonomic, small, and simple API
3) Thin wraper around SQLite with easy access to all the native SQL that SQLite supports
4) ORM

- marko