[aerogear-dev] Android target and min SDK numbers

supittma at redhat.com supittma at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 10:10:11 EDT 2012

Following a spirited discussion on the IRC channel we have come up with
the following arguments for and against several minimum versions of
Android which we will support for 1.0

android-7 Éclair
For:
The TODO app currently compiles and runs on it

Against:
Older than cyber dirt.
Relies on some deprecated HTTP Cient APIs
More testing for not much more gain in market

android -8 Froyo
For:
We agreed on it before.
Gains us 15% of Android Play users

Against:
Still uses deprecated http libraries.
Lose out on some of the nicer things in Gingerbread
Can lower our minimum version in 1.0.1 if it passes QA
Old as cyber dirt

android-10 Gingerbread
For:
Majority of Android users still use this
Lots of good API's
"Default" version for many Android developers
Minimum version that the supported http libraries support

Against:
We lose the users from Froyo
We agreed on Froyo before
The library doesn't strictly need it.

My vote is for 10 with an eye to lower it to 8 shortly after 1.0 is
released.  This limits the number of platforms we have to test on to get
this out the door and doesn't affect our developers that much.