[aerogear-dev] Big picture questions around the PipeManager and the DatastoreManager

Kris Borchers kris at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 07:46:04 EDT 2012

Corinne,

Thanks for your input. Please see my responses inline. I will be speaking from a JS point of view. The others that work on our Android or iOS libs may have different thoughts but what I'm working on is more relevant to your questions.

On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:17 AM, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Guys
>
> I jumped into the discussion because I'm working on similar topic for 3musket33rs html-grails-plugin. And I would like to share my thoughts with you.
>
> See code for Grails plugin here
> https://github.com/3musket33rs/html5-mobile-scaffolding
> or an example of implementation (if you just wan tto se the js)
> https://github.com/corinnekrych/tagmyfriends/tree/master/web-app/js
>
> My design is similar I called Feed what you have named Pipeline.Feed can be online or offline and I've implemented a first draft of synchronization. Model is more or less equivalent to your StoreManager.
>
> Main differences I see is:
>
> 1. I've chosen to decouple with MVC pattern as I needed to identify what need to be generated by Grails plugin.
We are trying to keep the client libraries as decoupled from the server as possible and only depend on a server implementation when necessary for things like specific security adapters or syncing.

> For ex, in my example app the generated part is
> https://github.com/corinnekrych/tagmyfriends/tree/master/web-app/js/tagmyfriends
> There is a bunch of js libraries (backbone, angular etc...) to do this and I might propose an easy way to plug the chosen fwk.
 The goal is that eventually AeroGear could work in tandem with client side MV* libs like Backbone. That way, AeroGear could be used in place of that library's persistence or sync method to be able to do things like use Backbone with offline access and sync and use WebSockets as the server connection.

> Looking at your TODO app I think it would be nice to decouple the view
Totally agree. I have plans to rework/rebuild that app to do just that. It started very simple but has grown quickly to obviously need the benefits of something like Backbone.

> 2. Not sure how you're thinking on introducing Sync in your code, is it going to be another adapters of DataManager?
I am working on completely decoupling Pipeline and DataManager and then introducing a new module called SyncManager that will handle all syncing between local and server side data. You can see the very early start and monitor the progress of this code in the SyncManager branch https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-js/tree/SyncManager

> 3. Are you going to provide multi-user synch?
Yes, that is the goal. That would be one of those situations where a specific server implementation would be used to manage things like simultaneous connections, conflicts between two clients modifying the same data offline, etc. This is all still very young though and hasn't been worked out yet.