[aerogear-dev] Updated Android sketch

Glen Daniels glen at thoughtcraft.com
Tue Sep 4 22:10:58 EDT 2012

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to let you know that I committed a small bit of further
progress on my fork of Marko's Android framework application.  Latest
commit is:

https://github.com/gdaniels/android-data/commit/48c4986ec57bfa0f409cc08c7e915222558ba767

The app is still barely anything at all, but there are a few things to note:

* The app currently simply shows whatever tasks are on the server at
http://todo-aerogear.rhcloud.com/

* Maven build works

* We're using Robolectric (http://robolectric.org) for testing.  This
requires using the Maven Android SDK Deployer
(https://github.com/mosabua/maven-android-sdk-deployer) in order to copy
the Android + Google extension jars into your local m2 repository.
Instructions are in the README
(https://github.com/gdaniels/android-data/blob/master/android/README.md).

* Currently using gson (http://code.google.com/p/google-gson/) for easy
serialization + deserialization from Java <-> JSON.

* The app uses a simple IntentService pattern in order to do the network
GET in a background Service.  When the data (tasks) is deserialized, we
store it in a shared static list (this is not best practice, but works)
and then emit a broadcast to let the UI know about the change.

The idea of this endeavor is to get to the point where we can start
actually playing with potential answers to some of the questions posed
in https://gist.github.com/3495006.

Check it out, and let fly with any questions/comments!  Will try to move
this further forward in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
--Glen