[aerogear-dev] Server Contracts and Thoughts about Server-Agnostic Clients

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Sat Sep 15 05:53:42 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> On Friday, September 14, 2012, Glen Daniels wrote:
>>
>> On 9/13/12 11:25 PM, Douglas Campos wrote:
>> > Howdy!
>> >
>> > I was thinking on how to start this conversation on server contracts, so
>> > let's start with an example for a resource named "car" - all interactions
>> > are 'application/json'.
>> >
>> > We talked on irc about how to maintain the bare minimum that would give
>> > us full agnostic server backends, and I've tried to limit as CRUDL - CRUD +
>> > List without pagination :)
>> >
>> > C     POST            /cars
>> > R     GET             /car/1
>> > U     PUT             /car/1
>> > D     DELETE          /car/1
>> > L     GET             /cars
>> >
>> > Glen commented on irc that this would introduce coupling between the
>> > client and the server - but the point is that the endpoint style can and
>> > should be configurable in several levels:
>> >
>> > - always_plural? (/cars everywhere) [1]
>>
>> +1.  I don't think we should initially even care abut the above case,
>> but only support "/cars" and "/cars/1".
>>
>> > - do we support batch operations? (as suggested by [1])
>>
>> By "batch" do you mean PUT to "/cars" to bulk-update the whole
>> collection?  I don't think we need to do that initially either, as most
>> REST APIs I've seen don't support that.
>>
>> > - logic name (/vehicles should be interpreted as "cars")
>>
>> No need to do anything explicit about this, if I'm understanding you
>> correctly.  Taking a Java/Android example, if you want to play with
>> cars, you could just do:
>>
>> pipe = new Pipe("vehicles", Car.class);
>

> vehicles is a logical name on the client, for the /cars resource (due to the
> Car type), right?

Actually, looking at [1] I see that the "vehicles" is the URI - not a
logical name on the client :)

So... something like 'new Pipe("cars", Car.class);' works if the
server allows an 'alias' (e.g. /cars) for the /vehicles endpoint
(or the other way around).

Not sure how having server side aliases is a problem. I guess it's up
to the 'service provider' as long as the client API can read the
(working) endpoint URI to work against.

That said, not sure why one would actually introduce a lot of aliases
for a single endpoint...

-M

[1] https://github.com/gdaniels/android-data/blob/master/android/src/org/aerogear/android/Pipe.java#L41