[aerogear-dev] Push!

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue Sep 18 01:31:27 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Glen Daniels <glen at thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> Hey team,
>
> So thinking a bit about the Android roadmap, and realizing that for
> either the Android or the iOS libs to work well (i.e. without killing
> the batteries of end-users' phones), we're going to need to do push
> integration.
>
> A quick recap - if we want to know when data on the backend has been
> updated without a manual "refresh" button, we either have to 1) poll
> (which sucks, uses network resources, and doesn't work in the background
> on iOS devices) or 2) use push (for which there are specific APIs for
> Android and iOS, and there are also "higher level" push service
> providers such as Urban Airship).

AFAIK the (apple) push payload size is limited, so it will be mostly
some combination of push/poll.
The 'push' tells the app: Some data has changed, go online and 'pull' it.

IMO another option would be WebSocket, when the app is online. If it's
offline, of course the message would not make it to the device, here
comes 'push' in again.

> Yes, polling can be used as a fallback, but for any serious application
> that needs live or background updates, push is the only way to go.  Yes,
> this means another coupling point to "our" server (or at least
> contract-compatible servers).

Right, but not sure if it's that bad if we make this available as a
'somewhat' generic server side component, to be deployed to JBoss
(never dealt with push)

-M