[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Connectivity

Kris Borchers kris at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 07:44:36 EDT 2013

I agree with most of this but have a few comments/suggestions inline.

On Apr 11, 2013, at 4:49 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> AeroGear Connectivity
> The connectivity part in AeroGear (name: AeroGear Connectivity Server?) is responsible to deliver messages from the server to the client. It contains two different components:
>
> Device Push
> Web Push
I am not a fan of this naming. I feel like it is confusing. I think Device Push should just be Push and Web Push should be something different to show it is different. Maybe something simple like PubSub since that's basically what it is.

We can discuss this more in our meeting but I would like to suggest implementing a JS SimplePush pollyfill now! We could follow this emerging spec from FFOS (https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/SimplePush) which they plan to implement in FF mobile and desktop later this year. We would need to build the server side piece into our unified push server bits but I think the effort would be worth it to provide a cross-browser solution for push on the web which could be transitioned to the native browser push when ready.