[aerogear-dev] [GSoC 2013] Mobile collaboration app project

Евгений megistion at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 18:00:19 EDT 2013

Hello, guys! My name is Eugene Nazarchuk, I'm a postgraduate student
of National
Research University of Information Technology, Mechanics and Optics in
Saint-Petersburg, Russia. My colleague, Dmitry Zamula (
club.brantner at gmail.com) has already written a letter to Mr. Jay Balunas
about the project of mobile document collaboration app.

I have about a year experience in enterprise software development using
Java stack, Node.js, Javascript and Coffescript. Dmitry has 2 year of
experience in enterprise development (also java) and works on his own app
for Phonegap platforms. We are interested in project of mobile document
collaboration app because it uses advanced mobile technologies. It's a good
opportunity to get a lot of experience in this area.

Today we've spent some time developing a prototype of that application. Now
it has a functionality of concurrent editing of a document by several
clients and some base document markup. All communication with server goes
through web sockets. Client is implemented using Phonegap. Prototype is
pretty raw but it helped us to pinpoint main difficult parts of the system.
First of all is lack of support of websockets in android (and integration
of existing websocket libraries with Phonegaps API). Also the task of
markup the text is not so easy, because the majority of WYSIWYG editors
aren't adapted for mobile devices. In particular we faced the problem of
positioning the caret while other clients are concurrently modifying the
document.

In current prototype we intentionally used not very optimal algorithm for
transferring document changes between clients, because we just wanted to
roughly estimate the whole scope of work.

In the project description there is a mention of Aerogear framework. As far
as we understand it does not support websockets right now. So we have a
question: will this functionality be implemented soon, so it can be
integrated in the project?

We are glad to answer any questions about us or the prototype. We can
expand its functionality, if necessary.

Best regards,

Eugene Nazarchuk (megistion at gmail.com)

Dmitry Zamula (club.brantner at gmail.com)

Prototype:

mobile client - https://github.com/Brantner/mdc

server - https://github.com/Brantner/mdc-server

the server is deployed here - http://mdc-brantner.rhcloud.com

We cannot provide a compiled version of the client, because it doesn't work
for android right now (lack of native websocket support) and must be
compiled for iOS using UUID of the particular device it will be used on.

--
С уважением,
Назарчук Евгений