[aerogear-dev] WAR files: Release process

Karel Piwko kpiwko at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 03:54:50 EDT 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:22:37 +0200
Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Karel Piwko <kpiwko at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:16:23 +0200
> > Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > for WAR files, we won't deploy them to maven central.
> >
> > Is there any specific reason why not to deploy them there?
> >

> It's really not a library that you program against. Several other 'war'
> project (e.g. Jenkins) also don't deploy there.

Several other projects do though [1]. Supposing that WAR is downloaded by
consumers, we'd need to preserve old versions and ensure it can be downloaded
in automated manner (like wget). This burder will grow over time and can be
easily reduced to zero if WAR is hosted on Maven Central.

I might be a bit biased here, but I think hosting WARs in Maven Central should
be the default. You can easily grab it from there if your using Maven and also
you can profit from Maven ecosystem, for instance use Maven Overlay plugin to
easily build a custom Push Server using your additions.

[1] http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cp%3A%22war%22