[aerogear-dev] [Android] Google's Gradle build tool and AAR

Summers Pittman secondsun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:48:25 EDT 2013

Y'all,

In the last release we had some trouble at the end.  People were having
trouble building aerogear-android because the android-sdk-deployer
project had a couple of "small" problems. Mainly there was an issue with
one of the deployers submodules (and it had to be disabled by hand) and
the deployer itself isn't compatible with maven 3.1.0.  I don't want to
include in the build instructions for aerogear "download this old
version of Maven and then edit the pom of this third party project".

The easiest way to remove our dependency on the deployer is to start
using Google's gradle build system.  The Android SDK has packages for
deploying the necessary repositories so that our build can consume them
and we can use the gradle wrapper to keep our users from having to
install yet more software.

So where does this leave maven?  Unfortuantely it is still necessary to
build the apklib file (as far as I know), but it won't be necessary to
actually USE the project anymore.

wdyt?

Summers