[aerogear-dev] [Android] Google's Gradle build tool and AAR

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 10:14:29 EDT 2013

On 08/20/2013 08:35 AM, Karel Piwko wrote:
> Do you know how Gradle stands for IDE support? Does it simplify Android
> Development for Eclipse/JBDS/IntelliJ?
Gradle support is excellent in IntelliJ.  Acceptable in NetBeans (by
NetBeans' standards), and I don't know about Eclipse because Eclipse is
a pain in the ass with third part build tools.  It looks like Spring STS
is providing a Gradle for Eclipse plugin but I havn't used it.

Until everyone is using Gradle and Android Studio we still will have to
maintain maven (for apklib) but the golden scenario for starting
out/green field development will be Gradle.

Now I may get into the woods on this and find out it has a horrible side
effect, but right now it should simplify the life of a developer.

Summers

PS One important note is that this would be hitching us harder to
Google's tooling cart and they have been known to dump products in the
ocean with only a few months of notice.