[aerogear-dev] Browser Support

Kris Borchers kris at redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 12:42:56 EDT 2013

I would like to propose a couple of things around browser support and get feedback as to how people feel about them.

First, I feel we need to finish our support matrix[1]. I would like to propose the following modifications:
Desktop
IE
I would like to entertain the idea of going to only IE10 support in the near future. We don't have to do it now but according to Global Stat Counter[2], IE9 is on a steady decline (~5% share) since it is being auto-updated to IE10 (~10% share). What's a good share percentage where we can say we should drop support? 2%? 1%? <1%?
Opera => Current - 1
Mobile
Android Browser => Drop 3.2+
Android folks, where are we on 2.3 usage? Still pretty high?
iOS Safari
iOS folks, where are we on 4.3 usage? Can we drop? Especially after release of iOS 7?
Windows Phone IE
Split to WP7.5 and WP8
Keep 7.5 support or just 8
WP8 would be IE10
Mobile Chrome => Current - 1 (Same cycle as Desktop)
Mobile Firefox => Current - 1 (Believe it's same cycle as Desktop)

Second, I would like to expand on an issue we are running into concerning the IE9 support. We have plans to implement multipart upload for Pipeline in the next AGJS release. The only issue is, IE9 does not support XMLHttpRequest2 which means the only way to do REST based file uploads is via an iframe hack which I will not introduce into our code. Until we drop IE9 support, I would like to suggest being able to mark APIs as unsupported in IE9 to keep moving forward with the rest of our modern browsers. Then, once IE9 support is dropped, those notes can be removed.

Thoughts on all points much appreciated.