[aerogear-dev] AGDROID-80 and unified Push

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 11:59:29 EDT 2013

So with GCM and Android, Google may decide to update the devices token.
The device will receive a Intent saying that the token has changed and
it needs to eventually update the remote server's data before the token
expires.

Right now the application checks the device id on startup and
reregisters if there is a change.  If the user doesn't interact with the
applicaiton for a long period of time and the device token changes he
will eventually stop receiving messages.

Ideally, I would think that handling this as soon as the intent comes in
would be great.  However, how should failures to reregister be handled?
My easy answer is Log and retry with exponential backoff (and maybe send
a error message).

WDYT?