[aerogear-dev] UPS User Management - Reloaded

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 09:02:40 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:

> Hi Sebi, few comments inline.
>
> On December 3, 2013 at 8:54:22 AM, Sebastien Blanc (scm.blanc at gmail.com)
> wrote:
> >
> >Hi,
> >I wanted to start a fresh new thread about user management in the Unified
> >Push Server, please check below the proposition I made for the next
> release
> >(0.10.0) , feel free to comment / ask questions etc ...
> >
> >(https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/6547605)
> >User Management for the Aerogear Unfied Push
> >Server
> >Introduction
> >
> >The goal of this document is to describe how the User Management will be
> >implemented in the Unified Push Server. Currently there is only one user
> >created by default when installing UPS. Having the possibility to create
> >multiple users is a "Must Have" and should be manageable from the Admin
> >Console. Some roles should also be introduced
> >Roles /
> >Permissions
> >
> >There will be 3 different roles in this first version :
> >
> >- *Admin* : The Admin is like the super-user, it can access all the
> >features of UPS including the creation of users.
> >- *Developer* : The developer can create/read/update and delete
> >Applications/variants.
> >- *viewer* : Can only 'Read', can be useful for monitoring apps (or for
> >the future UPS Forge Plugin).
>
> Here the Developer role will be able to reset user’s password? Or his own
> password?

Sorry, I was not specific enough here,  I meant reset the secret of an push
applications or a variant not the password of the user (I updated the gist)

> >Role / actionCreateUpdateReadDeleteReset pwdUser
> MngtAdminXXXXXXDeveloperXXX
> >XXViewer X
> >User
> >management flow
> >
> >An Admin can create new user by providing a loginName. This will be
> >possible through :
> >
> >- The console
> >- The REST service
> >
> >Password
> >Management
> >
> >At creation, the user will have a default password , i.e 123.
>
> I think here is the problem which we can’t delay anymore. At the creation
> we should probably send an e-mail with the encrypted url for the password
> setup.
>
> Is not the same thing, but the url approach can be something similar to
> what SP does to register channels.

 Agreed, but we must find a "email" solution that works both on a "custom"
deployed UPS and on a UPS deployed through the openshift cartdridge. There
are probably solutions but my idea was to have this simple solution for the
0.10.0 and the email flow for the 1.0 release.

> >First Login
> >
> >When logging in for this first time, the new created user will be prompted
> >to change his password.
>
> Same thing there, I think users should be able to reset their own password.

Make sense but that would imply that an user can manage his account, again
for 0.10.0 I'm not sure we can get it in (there is a lot of stuff open for
UPS 0.10.0 beside user management).