[aerogear-dev] how about this API for sync?

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 09:35:38 EST 2013

On 12/10/2013 06:48 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> +1 to include this table at our documentation https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/6de2250fca9150110ec03eee2af7f5418cbe44b8/docs/specs/aerogear-data-sync/index.md
>
> Do we have any scenario for detecting synchronization conflicts between client and server?
We've straw manned a few.

Least complex: The user has a set features on two devices each with
their own settings.  These are synchronized over all of the user's
devices.  On the first device he disables a feature (and thus all of its
settings), but on the second device he enables settings for the feature
he disabled on the other device.

How do these resolve and how is the resolution transmitted.

More complex:  Multiple users are editing a todo list.  Two users delete
the first item.  How do we ensure that only one item is deleted? (Or how
do we build our APIs and protocol so that the backend server deletes
only one item)

Most complex: N (where N is > 2) edit the same document and create
conflicts.  How do we enable resolving all of these and resyncing the
original document.

Even more most complex:  The same about but with an Image / binary data/
etc.