[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Controller, Security…(SoC), oh my

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 09:55:34 EST 2013

On 02/20/2013 08:25 AM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Good morning slackers.
>
> Today I was chatting with Dan about some cross-cutting concerns like
> CORS, XSS mitigation, HSTS, CSP. They have something related with
> security, but is not because it has "security" into the specification,
> that it MUST be inside AG-sec.
>
> They're cross-cutting concerns and I'd like to have it in a single
> place to be used as dependency. So what are the alternatives?

I like all of these options, and I will reply with my thoughts inline.

> 1- Put it inside AG-Controller and AG sec will be just the bridge to
> providers like PicketLink
I enjoy monolithic libraries/applications because it is fewer jars to
download/manage.  This also helps keep down some of the paradox of
choice problems that happen in say Spring where exactly which library I
want is a crapshoot so I just get them all.  Fortunately with
Maven/Ivy/Gradle tooling my IDE can search for the pack which contains
the classes/functionality I am referencing so that concern is mitigated
somewhat.
> 2- Put it inside AG-Sec and decoupled from AG-Controller, if you want
> to add security on AG-Controller based apps, you just include AG-Sec
> as dependency
This give AG-security something which lets it tell a different story
from Spring security (which I think is only Auth/Authz).  It keeps the
controller "kernel" lighter and makes it easier for someone to
understand what AG-Controller is doing under the hood.
> 3- And Matthias suggested the creation of ag-controller plugins.
Keeping everything really bite sized makes it very nice for
hackers/tinkerers to understand how we are implementing a security
feature.  This gives the community a lower barrier to entry (perhaps).
It has some of the problems I mentioned in 1. (IE the crapshoot of
necessary jars) but has benefits too (smaller downloads, easier to get
up and running etc)

> So…...what do you think?
>

> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
Summers