[aerogear-dev] Client Paging Strawman

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 10:06:44 EST 2013

On 01/15/2013 06:17 AM, Sebastien Blanc wrote:
> Hi,
> Some aditional remarks on Summers gist :
>
> Instead of :
> Pipe.readWithFilter(ReadFilter)
> Couldn't we just overload the read() method ? i.e :
> read(ReadFilter filter)

We can depending on how it interacts with the other implementations of
the library.
> About the where property in ReadFilter class :
> Do we really want to mix paging and querying ?
We do and we don't.  The request itself requires both of these
properties so it makes technical sense to pass them in a single
wrapper.  I agree it makes more logical sense to keep them as two
separate object which you can pass independently.
> About Pipe.getPageContext(List result):
> Same remarks as Matthias, not sure to understand how it works (even if
> I think I've understand ...)

In Java it's back by a WeakHashMap.  Lots of Java specific
implementation magic makes it very easy.  As I've said otherwise I'm not
in love with the method but it scratches an itch.

> General remarks about Paging:
> Even if it's not in scope for 1.0, I think we have to keep in mind
> that we will also be able to do pagination "offline" / "only client
> side" (maybe we would do some paging on a Store element ?) , so we
> have to consider this when designing our  API.

I've been thinking about that as well.  The Stores we have right now
don't lend themselves to paging very well because they don't have a
concept of order built in.