[aerogear-dev] Pagination Requirements Spec

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Jan 17 02:36:30 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Daniel Bevenius
<daniel.bevenius at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading the client API spec and noticed that I completely forgot
> the parameter 'metadataLocation' that an endpoint could optionally accept,
> which indicates if the information related to paging should be returned as
> part of the data, or as HTTP Headers.
> I'll update the server side spec if no one objects.

perhaps I don't get it - but... our backend uses the headers for the
web linking, AG-Limit etc, right?

So why should we include a "location" header? I understood it more as
a "generic" client feature:
- Tell the pipe where (haha :-)) to look (page/content VS header) for
the "next", "previous" etc information

> I also wanted to bring up that in the spec at the moment we have specified
> that we are only returning the 'total', and not the 'offset' and 'limit'.
> The reason for this being that the client sent the 'offset' and 'limit' and
> therefore already has this information. Does anyone have a different take on
> this?

I think, it's OK to NOT send that limit/offset overhead to someone
that knows about it already. That's what you are saying, right ?

-M