[aerogear-dev] Early version of Android Tutorial

Christos Vasilakis cvasilak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 07:32:32 EDT 2013

Hi Tommy,

nice guide!

did some formatting fixes on it and pushed on a branch here [1].

Further, had some issues following the "Configure the Build" for eclipse section. In particular:

>> PushEEDemo relies upon “aerogear-android”, so we must enable the two to work in tandem on the build path. In Eclipse
>> ADT,  right click “aerogear-android”, choose “Properties”, then choose “Android”, and check “Is Library”.

Apart from the 'Is library' checkbox, in the same form the user should select a build target >= 4.0 otherwise there will be errors of missing import statements of  "android.app.Fragment'.

>> Now, right click >>“MainActivity” of PushEEDemo, and choose “Properties” again. Click “Java Build Path”, and check the box >> next to “aerogear->android”. This will include the necessary resources needed for AeroGear.

Unfortunately I couldn't find that but I solved the issue by selecting 'Android' from the left hand side of the Properties dialog, and on the "Library section I clicked  'Add' and added the dependency to 'aerogear-android' (found on the instructions suggested by the eclipse aerogear guide here)

>> Finally, we also need to add a few Android and Google resources to the build path of PushEEDemo….

Once the libraries were added on PushEEDemo and tried to run eclipse complained "Your project contains errors, please fix them before running your application", mainly cause aerogear-android has missing dependencies. To fix that the libraries should be added to the 'aerogear-android'  project and not on 'PushEEDemo'. Further the user should ensure on the "Order and Export Tab  the libraries are checked otherwise the dependent ant project "PushEEDemo" will complain. Once this is setup, the project run fluently :)

(As a side note ADT tools provides a feature to add the support library, that is right clicking on the aerogear-android project and selecting "Android Tools->Add Support library…" will download the missing support library so probably for this, we can instruct the user to do that).

My big cumbersome was downloading and configuring the missing libraries. I know that since aerogear-android uses maven
(and with the Maven SDK Deployer installed) we can do:

mvn dependency:copy  (after we git clone the project)

that will install the missing libraries in the /libs folder of aerogear-android and then be auto picked up by eclipse when we import the project (adding only the support library using the ADT eclipse feature 'Add Support Library' and the google-play services.jar). I tried that too and worked fluenty.

I think for the purpose of the guide it can use the method you describe e.g manually adding the dependencies but probably add a comment in the like that "you can skip the manual process  of downloading the libraries by using the maven sdk deployer plugin that aerogear-android uses, for more information see the installation instructions in the project's web site here)

I think Summers and Passos can comment better on this one.

Nice work!

Thanks,
Christos

[1] https://github.com/cvasilak/aerogear.org/commits/initial.review

Depending upon your configuration, you may need to also reference the following external JARs (followed by location) in your aerogear-android project: