[aerogear-dev] Unregistration from push server missing

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Jul 15 08:32:27 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM, TadeasKriz <tkriz at redhat.com> wrote:

> I've created the JIRA subtask:
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-62
>
> You said some push networks recommend not to unregister from device. Well,
> I was more thinking about it like the device will send information to the
> unified push server and the server will then remove the device from the
> list of available tokens.

Well - Apple is pretty strict about "not following" best practices.

In iOS there is a notification centre. There the user will disable
"notification" per app (and users know that). And that's exactly why Apple
has a Feedback Service to query for "invalid" tokens.

Regardless if we all love things or not, I guess for the iOS SDK we will
not see a "unregister" hook (for those above reasons).

Kinda sucks if a developer's app got's rejected because AeroGear-iOS, and
its developers :-)

> Also the device would unregister from the push network if it should (I
> think it's valid way with GCM, don't know about others).
>
> From the API side, I think it might be added as a method of Registrar. So
> there would be Registrar#register and Registrar#unregister. What do you
> think?

yes, I guess that's what the JIRA ticket is for, right ?

The UnifiedPush Server does have this API endpoint already:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/master/docs/specs/aerogear-push-rest/DeviceRegistration.asciidoc#unregister-of-a-device-http-delete