[aerogear-dev] iOS device registration AFTER application login

Yavuz Selim YILMAZ yavuzsel at buffalo.edu
Wed Jul 17 13:06:35 EDT 2013

---
Yavuz Selim Yilmaz
SUNY at Buffalo
Computer Science and Engineering
PhD Candidate

On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Yavuz Selim YILMAZ <yavuzsel at buffalo.edu> wrote:
>

> ---
> Yavuz Selim Yilmaz
> SUNY at Buffalo
> Computer Science and Engineering
> PhD Candidate
>
> On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On iOS we recommend doing the registration (with UP server) on the "didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken" callback:
>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/master/docs/guides/aerogear-push-ios/iOS-app.asciidoc
>>

>> However, in AeroDoc-iOS, we just stash the token: https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-quickstart-ios/blob/master/ProDoctor/ProDoctor/AGAppDelegate.m#L49
>>

>> And submit it, with the entire metadata, AFTER a successful login: https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-quickstart-ios/blob/master/ProDoctor/ProDoctor/Classes/Controllers/AGLoginViewController.m#L138
>
> Is it guaranteed that device token is received BEFORE successful login? What if registration with APNs fails?
>

> a different APNs callback is invoked (application:didFailToRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithError)

Yes, but in that case, ProDoctor still registers the device to the Push EE server (with nil device token afaik). Is it an expected behavior?

And my 1st question refers to this scenario:
Application successfully registered with APNs, but the delegate called AFTER the successful login (I was asking about the time guarantee of APNs registration), so in this case there exist no stashed device token at the time of the execution of the success block. In such a case, when the delegate called after successful APNs registration, device should still be registered to Push EE I think.