[aerogear-dev] Unified Push Server user management questions

Deepali Khushraj dkhushra at redhat.com
Wed Jun 5 20:38:01 EDT 2013

Sorry I am chiming in late.

I like the mock-ups. A few comments:

* It seems from the designs that the user can add only a single OS-specific variant per app. For example, I can create "Mobile HR" app with a single "HR iOS" variant,  but not two variants like "HR iPad" and "HR iPhone free". I believe Matthias' lexicon states such multiple variants are possible per app. .

I think the way you've done is fine. However, if we choose this path then, I think, we need to update the specification and ensure the REST API won't allow multiple OS-specific variants per app, otherwise, they can't be shown in the UI.

* Apple's Push network has prod and dev environment options, a flag would be useful.

* The terms "Instance" and "Variant" will be unfamiliar terminologies to a new user. A help icon on the screen or just some text explaining the meanings of these terms to new comers would be helpful

* Terminology suggestion:
	Instance -> "Active user instances" or just "User instances"

* I found the name "Variants and Push Networks" confusing. I would suggest we use one :)

* I noticed you added links to download client SDKs, which is great. I think a link to the Sender REST API spec would be useful too.

* I found our iOS  tutorial to be really helpful. It got the user up and running really quickly. This is something I struggled with Urban Airship and other services. Linking ours to the console could be a real value add to first-time users

* We need to check the security aspect of showing end-user emails in the instances tab to the developers of the app.

* Also, if an app gets really popular then this list will likely be really long, like thousands of users. Not sure if our console could handle that. I think this feature of being able to see instances is great in "development mode" or during apps' "beta testing" though.

* Is the check-mark in first screen used to make an app active Vs inactive?

* I like that you show the variants summary in first screen, wondering if we could use icons there for iOS, Android & web.

* I was wondering if we could consider some UX ideas for first-time user experience. I imagine a lot of users using this service would never have used Push before, so they may need some hand holding and the UI is a great way to start that.

I am compiling a list of future use cases, will share that on the list next.

What you have is already very nice.

Thanks!
Deepali.