[aerogear-dev] Unified Message format (was: Re: AeroGear Push Message Format)

Deepali Khushraj dkhushra at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 17:09:21 EDT 2013

Comments inline.

On Jun 4, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> based on the "unification issues" (see old thread), Dan, Kris and I met
>

> here is what we have come up with:
>

> Draft for the AeroGear Push Message Format
>
> The Unified Push Server allows two different ways to send message to the native Push API, of the supported devices:
>
> broadcast
> to all MobileVariants and their MobileVariant Instances (devices)
> to one specific MobileVariant and its MobileVariant Instances (devices)
> selective Send
> Broadcast
>
> curl -v -H "Accept: application/json" -H "Content-type: application/json"
>    -H "ag-push-application: {PushApplicationID}
>    -H "ag-mobile-variant: {MobileVariantID}
>    -X POST
>    -d '{"key":"value", "alert":"HELLO!", "sound":"default", "badge":7,
>        "simple-push":"version=123"}'
>
> http://localhost:8080/ag-push/rest/sender/broadcast
> If the ag-push-application header is used, a message is send to a PushApplication and ALLMobileVariantInstances will receive the message.
>
> If the ag-mobile-variant header is used, a message is send to a particular MobileVariant and ALL of its MobileVariantInstances will receive the message.
>
> Message Format
>
> The message format is very simple: A generic JSON map is used to send messages to Android and iOS devices. The applications on the devices will receive the JSON map and are responsible for performing a lookup to read values of the given keys.
>
> SimplePush special keys
>
> Every AeroGear-SimplePush application can subscribe to a broadcast channel. If, on the abovebroadcast Endpoint, you are providing the simple-push key, the version (that's what SimplePush is really about), is extracted and send to ALL "connected" broadcast channels, of the given SimplePush variant(s). NOTE: On all other platforms, the simple-push key will be simply :-) ignored. Also, for SimplePush, all OTHER keys are ignored (since that does not make sense for SP).
>
> iOS special keys
>
> If the JSON map contains on of the following reserved keywords, Apple specific hooks will be invoked on the device:
>
> alert (triggers a dialog, displaying the value - no iOS API needs to be invoked by the app developer)
> sound (plays a given sound - no iOS API needs to be invoked by the app developer)
> badge (sets the value of the badge icon - no iOS API needs to be invoked by the app developer)

Newsstand push notification maybe worth considering since it's quite similar.

Here's an excerpt on how it compares to other special keys:

"The notification that initiates the Newsstand background download is the same as any other push notification, with two exceptions. The first difference is the payload — your Newsstand notification should include thecontent-available property (with a value of 1) in the JSON payload. Second, your app may only initiate a background download once every 24 hours. iOS will ignore notifications that try to initiate a background download more than once in a 24 hour period."

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2280/_index.html

D.