[aerogear-dev] [ag-controller] Deprecating AeroGear-Controller

Daniel Bevenius daniel.bevenius at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 07:25:13 EDT 2013

Originally, AeroGear Controller was an MVC only implementation, where
requests could be forwarded to different types of views. Later we added
support for RESTful endpoints which was very basic to start with, but more
and more feature requests have come which is the reason for creating this
email.

We did not set out to implement the RESTful support our selves, instead the
goal was to use RestEasy but as we required to be able to programmatically
add endpoints which was not an option at the time (but support for this
does now exist in RestEasy).

AeroGear controller's REST support started out very simple but as time
passed more request for things that are taken for granted in a JAX-RS
implementation were being asked for. We were moving toward something
equivalent to a JAX-RS implementation with regards to what we supported.
Adding more of these features added to the complexity of the Controller as
we needed to figure out good ways to provide the features requested, and
this also brings up the question if we should be doing this. The controller
is not specific to mobil, as any backend can be used with the client SDKs.
Also, there are plenty of options to implement RESTful backends, in Java
using RestEasy for example, or in a different language.

And after some discussions it has been decided that we should focus are
efforts in other places when it comes to our server side offerings, for
example the Unified Push Server and SimplePush Server etc.

So how do we make it visible that we have deprecated AeroGear-Controller?

A clear notice in the README.md is a good start. Should we mark every class
as deprecated as well?

These are just suggestions and if you have other ideas please let us know.

/Dan