[aerogear-dev] [RAD/PUSH] Push Tooling

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 05:41:04 EDT 2013

Hi all,

With all the stuff going around the unified push, we started to look how to
make the things easier for the developer to integrate "push" capabilities
into his existing backend application.

After playing around and discussing with a few people, we came to the
conclusion that these things are common, whatever your backend apps looks
like :

- You need the Java Sender Artifact
- You need a Valid Unified Push Server URL
- You need a valid Push Application ID
- You need a valid Master Password to be able to interact with the unified
Push Server

That seems to be the perfect case for a Forge Plugin : on any JEE
application, you could apply the "Aerogear Push Plugin" that will do the
current things :

- Pulls down the Java Sender Artifacts into your dependencies
- Make available an Modle/JPA Config object with CRUD facilities on :  Push
server URL / Push Application ID / Master password.

This config object could be editable through :
- Forge command line (i.e "aerogear-push set push-url "mypusherver.com")
- Through simple scaffolded User Interface

The idea is really to give people a "boost" when they want to enable "push"
on their existing apps : i.e aerogear-push init >> pulls down the
dependency , add the config object etc ...

Please comment on that, IMO this is really something that would reduce the
step for someone who wants his apps to be "Push" aware.

Seb