[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Unified Push - Abstraction layer for "push enabled apps" (was: Re: [AG Push] BASIC (and INITAL) use cases of the Unified Push Server)

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Fri Mar 15 05:58:43 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com>wrote:

> Great Job,
> see my comments inline.
>
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>wrote:
>
>> As discussed on the earlier theard, we have some raw APIs... Below a
>> little summary:
>>
>> We have a UnifiedPushManager(.java) defined, which is basically a
>> registry for "push enabled" apps (PushApplication.java). Such a
>> PushApplication is a logical construct on the backend which is
>> allowed/enabled to send notifications to mobile clients. One example could
>> be the "Twitter Backend" (e.g. for push notification on direct messages).
>>
> As you said the manager is here more a registry than a manager in the
> current state, maybe we should have a *PushApplicationRegistry* interface
> which has as only responsibility to hold the register state,

Can you gist ?

> the implementation of the registry will connect to the chosen persistence
> unit (JPA/Mongo/Oracle ...).

Not sure I really want to that - now :) I am (for first iteration) fine to
have something running, instead of being that flexible and be able to go
with any existing "data source" :-)

> This way we could have a concrete implementation of the *
> UnifiedPushManager* than can be used by different backend/customers
> (think DRY) , they just have to inject the needed *PushApplicationRegistry
> * implementation.

Not sure what exactly you mean - perhaps a gist / pseudo code is helpful
here too ?

> Now each of the PushApplication can have a few mobile applications, that
>> receive those push messages (e.g. the offical Twitter iOS client and the
>> offical Twitter Android client). These "mobile apps" are represented - on
>> the server - with the MobileApplication.java class. Usually there is
>> only one iOS app and one Android... *BUT* imagine the case of a
>> "paid/premium app" versus a free app (e.g. something like TwitterPro-iOS
>> and Twitter-free-iOS... *NOTE*: there is NOTHING like that, I just made
>> these two apps up, to explain the concept).
>>
>> Of course there are several installations of the iOS(and Android...) app.
>> Each installation is represented with theMobileApplicationInstance.java class.
>> Each installation is registered by a "device registration service": The
>> actual app on the device submits its token/regId (and some other infos) to
>> a HTTP endpoint....
>>
>> Now the UnifiedPushManager(.java) is the central API to *register* PushApps
>> and their mobile views, including (device)registration of installations (->
>> MobileApplication and MobileApplicationInstance).
>>
>> Any backend app, can now use the *Sender API* to actually send the
>> message to these different devices/appications, from the
>> UnifiedPushManager, assuming they have permission :-)
>>
>> A simple example is here (java code for registration AND sending); Note
>> it's a Unit test.......:
>> https://github.com/matzew/ag-unified-push-api/blob/master/src/test/java/org/jboss/aerogear/push/UnifiedPushManagerTest.java#L41-L81
>>

> Maybe the *Sender* interface should be an attribute of the *PushManager*,
> the customer can set his *Sender* impl (pushManager.setSender(...) )  and
> the UnifiedManager act as a facade for the "sending" actions.

Hrm - you really think folks will write their own "Senders"? I think... if
they want to add support for "Windows Mobile", they just have to extend the
abstract MobileApplicationImpl and implement it's send() to talk to the
Windows Push infrastrucuture

PERHAPS... just using interfaces was confusing  - there will be concrete
classes (first impl is in the TEST project (see other thread)), but the
interfaces are a highlevel view of the "domain model"

>> <https://gist.github.com/matzew/73d478a42c093e21a6b9#so-far-so-good---but-why-this-abstraction->So
>> far, so good - but why this abstraction ????
>>
>> *Goal*: We want that any (JBoss/AeroGear powered) mobile application,
>> that is backed by JBoss technology, is able to easily work with push
>> messages. For a JBoss "backend application" it should be as simple as
>> possible, to send messages to its different mobile clients
>>  <https://gist.github.com/matzew/73d478a42c093e21a6b9#some-scenarios>Some
>> Scenarios
>>
>>    - MyWarehouseInc-backend can send messages to different "customer"
>>    groups (e.g. discounts for only iOS (or only Android) users).
>>    - MyInsuranceCorp-backend can send important "info messages" to
>>    diffenrent variants of its mobile Applications (e.g. to the
>>    MyInsuranceCustomer-APP (regardless of the OS) AND to the app for their own
>>    agents (MyInsuranceAgent-APP))
>>    - MyPublishing-Company-backend sends updates to all of its apps (free
>>    and premium - regardless of the mobile OS). Advanced content is only push
>>    to the paying customers...
>>    - A company has different backends (small apps for different tasks) -
>>    and these different backends could be able to reach all of the company's
>>    mobile apps
>>
>> So... the Sender somewhat acts as a broker (for accessable apps on the
>> 'registry' UnifiedPushManager)...
>>

> Maybe we should define some kind of "Application" Collection, as
> smart/specific  Java Collection implementation to be able to create easily
> groups of apps etc .. just a rough idea that needs to be cleaned up ;)

Something like that would be neat, for more advanced queries / selection etc

Thanks for the feedback!
-M