[aerogear-dev] REST API - First thoughts: (Re: [AG Unified Push] Overview and NATIVE Push spec)

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Mar 20 08:42:17 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Kris Borchers <kris at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2013, at 6:43 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> Here is the REST API for "Push App" (+mobile app) registrations:
>
> https://gist.github.com/matzew/2da6fc349a4aaf629bce
>

> Questions:
>
> The post to "/applications/das231432qwdsa2/iOS" and/or
> "/applications/das231432qwdsa2/android" are different (payload-wise)....
>
> Not sure if that is best solution.... However, we need to differentiate
> between different "mobile os variants" anyways....
>
> My (CURRENT) feelings is that a different "endpoint" is better instead of
> an ugly, large - but generic - API that does everything, and the server
> figures out what type of mobile app has been registered …
>

> I agree that different endpoints makes sense, especially if a user is only
> interested in iOS devices for example and so only build an app that works
> on iOS, since this would allow for easy registration of a single type of
> application. I would however like to see, and believe users would like to
> see, some sort of unified API so that they only have register an app once
> for both Android and iOS. Maybe this won't be an issue once we have more
> than just a REST interface but just wanted to throw it out there.

Like a post to "/applications

where the payload is:

{
  // push app properties
  "description":"just a test",
  "name":"TestApp",

  // REQUIRED Apple Push Network props:
  "cert":"CERT_UPLOAD_VAL",
  "passphrase": "top-secret",

  REQUIRED GCM Push Network props:
  "google-api-key": "dsdsaadsadsdasadsdsa"

}

and the 201 Response could look like:
{
  "id":"PushAppKey"
  "apps":[
     {"iOS-ID":"adda213213"},
     {"android-ID":"454dda213213"},
  ]
}

This UBER :) API could work, for really just one "server side" abstraction,
that has exaclty ONE iOS and one Android APP  (of course the request body
of the POST could contain arrays for different CERTS, passphrases,
API-Keys).

For a convenience we surly can have that - Is that what you mean ?

-M