[aerogear-dev] Multipart client thoughts

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri May 10 15:38:44 EDT 2013

First a few caveats:

1.  There is no server side implementation / spec yet so the client
"solution" should be rather pluggable.
2.  I've only looked at iOS as a sanity check on my ideas.

I've been working on some PoC's for multipart on Android.  After a few
false starts here is the idea I've come up with to support
multipart/from-data content types (ie uploading files).

Add a new configuration option to a Pipe's configuration: a request builder.

The request builder will be a callback/closure/class that consumes the
data arguments from a pipes save request and produces the body of the
request.  In Android it can be an interface which is implemented and in
iOS it can be a block which is passed to AFHttpClient's
multipartFormRequestWithMethod.  I'm not sure what the implications to
JavaScript would be.

Specifically in Android the gson specific request code will be
refactored into a GSONRequestBuilder, and we will write (and define the
behavior of) a MultipartRequestBuilder.  Also PipeConfig.setGsonBuilder
will become deprecated (a good move IMHO).

wdyt?

Summers