[aerogear-dev] PushEE testing POC

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue May 21 05:11:42 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Karel Piwko <kpiwko at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, we have 3 options where to put tests:
>
> 1/ Have them tightly integrated - that would be src/test
> 2/ Have them next to actual code - that's current proposal
> 3/ Have them in separate repository - that's Matthias option
>
> I chose 2/ because that way people are not required to setup anything to

well, it's not really tied to the maven default layout;
folks have to explictily cd into the "tests" folder, at root level;
Also, I guess you need separated CI hooks for that

> code on the component while being aware something like integration tests
> exists and it's not that difficult to fix them if broken by your last
> commit.

fair point, but they can be always executed against the latest snapshot.

> That's the main reason why I do not like 3/, separate lifecycle for tests
> adds
> entry barrier for test development and maintenance.

cd tests (at root level), make this already very similar to a separate
project, hence it has
an individual "lifecycle", right ?

> Option 1/ is the best if
> the set of test tools is stable, which is unfortunately not the case yet,
> unfortunately.

For me, personally src/test is more for unit/mock testing. But that's just
personal preference.