[aerogear-dev] PushEE testing POC

Karel Piwko kpiwko at redhat.com
Tue May 21 07:42:16 EDT 2013

Seems to me that we might agree on moving tests into separate repository for
now while making them a part of src/test of the project itself once we
stabilize testing tools.

Comments inline.

Karel

On Tue, 21 May 2013 11:11:42 +0200
Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Karel Piwko <kpiwko at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, we have 3 options where to put tests:
> >
> > 1/ Have them tightly integrated - that would be src/test
> > 2/ Have them next to actual code - that's current proposal
> > 3/ Have them in separate repository - that's Matthias option
> >
> > I chose 2/ because that way people are not required to setup anything to
> >

> well, it's not really tied to the maven default layout;
> folks have to explictily cd into the "tests" folder, at root level;
> Also, I guess you need separated CI hooks for that

Yes, we need to add one more Maven execution set up in CI.

> > code on the component while being aware something like integration tests
> > exists and it's not that difficult to fix them if broken by your last
> > commit.
> >

> fair point, but they can be always executed against the latest snapshot.

Yes, they will be no matter where the tests are put into. But "cd tests & fix"
is much less effort compared to check CI job where tests actually are, clone,
fix and rerun.

> > That's the main reason why I do not like 3/, separate lifecycle for tests
> > adds
> > entry barrier for test development and maintenance.
>

> cd tests (at root level), make this already very similar to a separate
> project, hence it has
> an individual "lifecycle", right ?

It is a separate project. But lifecycle is shared.

> > Option 1/ is the best if
> > the set of test tools is stable, which is unfortunately not the case yet,
> > unfortunately.
> >

> For me, personally src/test is more for unit/mock testing. But that's just
> personal preference.

Right.