[aerogear-dev] Security for "Device Registration"

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Tue May 21 18:11:39 EDT 2013

Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Another idea....

I can see a lot of good ideas here, but we have to start to file jiras.
There will be several several ways to make a system secure.

IMO start simple, make it ultra secure later.

> We generate, for EACH variant, an "access-key" with a generated
> secret(password).

What do you mean about secret? A shared secret? Now we have another
problem, you must encrypt this shared secret.

This accessKey:secret combination would be, similar to
> the previous email, ONLY be able to perform updates for "device
> (un)registration".
>
> It would be NOT possible to use this combination for sending messages to
> a device, (read: our HTTP send interface would not allow this
> accessKey:secret combination).
>

> Not, sure, but this is (I guess) a bit simpler, initially, instead of
> using private/public key approach.

I'm still confuse, about what do you want to encrypt and why. Why not
only create APP-KEY as a point of start, then we figure out how to
authorize or not a server.

Then several people, including me suggesting it will say "it's not
safe". Then you reply with "fix it" and we can make it work.