[aerogear-dev] Security for "Device Registration"

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed May 22 01:02:27 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org>wrote:

> Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> > Another idea....
>
> I can see a lot of good ideas here, but we have to start to file jiras.

Right, but I wanted to "validate" these ideas, instead of creating
countless JIRAs, all being closed "won't fix" / "does not make sense". Main
intention here is really to ask for help, in validating these thoughts

> There will be several several ways to make a system secure.
>
> IMO start simple, make it ultra secure later.

yeah, that's my take on it too

> > We generate, for EACH variant, an "access-key" with a generated
> > secret(password).
>
> What do you mean about secret? A shared secret? Now we have another
> problem, you must encrypt this shared secret.

secret == password

> This accessKey:secret combination would be, similar to
> > the previous email, ONLY be able to perform updates for "device
> > (un)registration".
> >
> > It would be NOT possible to use this combination for sending messages to
> > a device, (read: our HTTP send interface would not allow this
> > accessKey:secret combination).
> >

> > Not, sure, but this is (I guess) a bit simpler, initially, instead of
> > using private/public key approach.
> >

> I'm still confuse, about what do you want to encrypt and why. Why not
> only create APP-KEY as a point of start, then we figure out how to
> authorize or not a server.

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I am not talking about "authorize
an server" (e.g. for sending mails to devices).
These mails are around: devices registers its "application installation" by
submitting "token" to a mobile Variant, ("I am an instance of you,")

> Then several people, including me suggesting it will say "it's not
> safe". Then you reply with "fix it" and we can make it work.

Not sure what that means? Why would *I* just reply "fix it"? Again, this
was intended for discussion, not "do this, do that".