[aerogear-dev] [Unified Push Server] Roles structure & password management

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue Nov 5 12:03:38 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org>wrote:
>

>> Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>> > If it can be made for the next release I would say let's keep it
>> > simple for now, 3 roles :
>> >
>> > -admin : can do all the CRUD operations + creating/deleting users
>> > -developer: can do all the CRUD operations
>> > -simple: can just do read operations
>> +1 and oversimplifying here I would remove "simple". If people only can
>> read send to them a PDF :)
>>
> Yeah that could probably come later, but I still see some usages (see

agree

>> > The default user (admin/123) should have the "admin" role.
>> >
>> > Users created by the admin can have the role developer or simple
>> Probably if the server is still using the interceptor, it must support
>> multiple roles. What should I do into the following situations?
>>
>> - Delete ALL the things Endpoint annotated with developer and simple:
>> Logged in user has only the simple role and is not a developer. Should I
>> allow them to delete?
>>

> Well, I was thinking of annotating methods, so delete all the thing will
> be only for "developer" and "admin"

yup, that would be a bug on the UP Server (the actual annotation with "dev"
and "simple" for the DELETE endpoint).

I think for the actual role management (how does it work?) it would be nice
that this (incorrect) DELETE invocation would have NO effect if the user is
a 'simple' user, but I guess that's perhaps a bit out of scope of the UPS -
more a security concerns (for PicketLink?)

>> > Users created by the admin will have the default 123 password to be
>> > changed the first time they log in.
>> I think it was already solved on unified push server, no?
>>
> Sure ! Just wanted to state it again that it will be the same for users
> created "manually".

yep - it is already there

-M