[aerogear-dev] Encrypted Data and IVs

Corinne Krych corinnekrych at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:28:34 EST 2013

I see 2 options:
- the one you suggested, you encrypt all data with the same iv, salt + passphrase. The app stores globally iv+salt
- or you encrypt each password (in the case of our demo app) with different IV+salt. You need to store salt+iv locally (in  a header) within the encrypted stream. To decrypt, you need first to read the header, exact salt+iv.

Second option is less efficient, but more secure because there is more randomness.

The granularity could be the responsibility of the app developer who can decide when to change the IV+salt.

See some similar idea with code here:
https://github.com/rnapier/RNCryptor/blob/master/RNCryptor/RNEncryptor.m#L115

++
Corinne