[aerogear-dev] [Unified Push Server] Roles structure & password management

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 10:34:40 EDT 2013

Hi,
Start point is this jira https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-282 for
allowing the creation of additional users/developers.
In the current situation we have just one role : "developer" , so the first
question is :

- Should a user with the role "developer" be able to create another user ?
- Should we introduce a "admin" role that can manage users (create, reset
password, delete) ?
- A mix of permissions ? (a developer can create other users but not remove
them nor reset (except its own) password )

>From there the second question regarding password management :
In the current situation, our default user (called "admin" , yeah a bit
confusing :) ) has a temporary password that must be changed the first time
he logs in.

 - Do we want to keep this ?

- Shall we move to a script that creates a user(s) ?

- When we add a user through the admin UI, should we provide a password or
should it be generated and changed on first login ?

In other words, I think we must concretely spec out the user management for
the UPS and we could use this thread to discuss that !