[aerogear-dev] Arquillian Droidium for Aerogear Android OTP demo

Stefan Miklosovic smikloso at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 07:41:54 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am developing Arquillian container for Android called Droidium (1). To make the story short (since it is realy long),
it brings Selenium and Arquillian Graphene + Drone power into your functional mobile tests. It can:

1) Test your Android native application functionally meaning you
    - have your APK you want to test
    - start Android emulator dynamically upon test execution or you connect to already running one (physical device as well)
    - APK is deployed to your phone, you write Selenium like tests where you are clicking around the app
    - All tests pass so you are happy.

2) Test hybrid Android applications meaing your application consist of native + web view, you can switch between them in one test case.

3) Test web applications from your mobile device (emulator / physical) meaing
    - you have application like a WAR
    - you have application like an APK
    - Droidium starts JBoss AS for you and WAR is deployed there
    - you have emulator (started / stopped) or physical device
    - WebDriver from Selenium is installed on the device so when you are doing tests, Android browser is open for you and you are
      executing tests on mobile phone against deployed web application

4) You are able to deploy more than one deployment (meaning APK) when you are doing tests, so you can install not only APK you
test but all serivces ore resource libraries.

All test cases coded so far are located here with brief explanation what it is doing for you

I am writing this to you since I have been assigned to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MP-112 where I need to verify that
I can use OTP for Android. Since it is little bit unclear for me, I propose my own "test case" for this.

1) I take web application "as-is" here (2) and I deploy it to JBoss AS instance
2) I take this OTP Android demo here (3) and I install it to mobile phone.
3) I fill in forms in Android emulator with name / pass and when I get the number, i take that and I enter that into web application
4) I verify that I am logged in the web application
5) OTP for Android works.

Questions:

1) Is there some other use case scenario how it should be tested?
2) I heard that OTP demo is little bit obsolete so maybe some additional plumbing here and there would be necessary. Otherwise,
what would you like to see regarding OTP and Android tested?
3) Do you see a room for incorporating Droidium into Aerogear more deeply? I could deep e.g. into AeroGear controller and do some
testing there or security would be very nice area as well. This tool is pretty handy in QA and AeroGear would benefit from that greatly.

Regards

(1) https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-droidium/tree/master/tests
(2) http://controller-aerogear.rhcloud.com/aerogear-controller-demo/
(3) https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-otp-android-demo