[aerogear-dev] [Unified Push Server] Roles structure & password management

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Sep 12 07:51:41 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Start point is this jira https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-282 for
> allowing the creation of additional users/developers.
> In the current situation we have just one role : "developer" , so the
> first question is :
>
> - Should a user with the role "developer" be able to create another user ?

not sure an ordinary should be able to create other users

> - Should we introduce a "admin" role that can manage users (create, reset
> password, delete) ?

+1 on that

> - A mix of permissions ? (a developer can create other users but not
> remove them nor reset (except its own) password )

not sure on mixing. Do you have something concrete in mind?

I think it would be good if a 'developer' could be promoted to be come an
'admin' (to give an example);

> From there the second question regarding password management :
> In the current situation, our default user (called "admin" , yeah a bit
> confusing :) ) has a temporary password that must be changed the first time
> he logs in.
>
>  - Do we want to keep this ?
>  - Shall we move to a script that creates a user(s) ?

yeah, we have also a bug for removing what we currently have and replacing
it with something more powerful:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-223

> - When we add a user through the admin UI, should we provide a password or
> should it be generated and changed on first login ?

I like the idea from Bruno of sending an email, containing an URL for
changing the password;

> In other words, I think we must concretely spec out the user management
> for the UPS and we could use this thread to discuss that !

That would be great!