[aerogear-dev] Feedback for aerogear-unifiedpush-server - personalized push notifications case

Apostolos Emmanouilidis aemmanou at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 03:12:40 EDT 2013

I received some feedback for the aerogear-unifiedpush-server.

The case is:

Company X would like to create a personalized push notifications
campaign for Y hundred thousands customers/clients. Personalized means
that each client/device should receive a unique message. The messages
are automatically produced from rules defined in a CRM system, but this
is something which doesn't affect our implementation.

Currently, our selective send method is able to send one message to a
selected list of clients. In cases like the above one, this translates
into Y hundred thousands calls of the aerogear-unifiedpush-server
selective send method. The question is whether we could change the
signature of the selective send method and allow to pass an array of
messages or not.

In my understanding, the advantages/disadvantages of a such change are
similar to the advantages/disadvantages of a service according its level
of granularity.

Fine Grained
+ simplicity and less business logic on server side
+ less amount of data exchanged between client/server
- a lot of interactions between client/server
- more interactions = more network overhead
- complex client side

Coarse Grained
+ less interactions between client/server
+ less network overhead & possibility of re-using the same network
connection to send messages to the Push Networks (at least for APN)
+ simple client side
- much data exchanged in each interaction between client/server
- complex server side