[aerogear-dev] Possible to send anything other than version number to simple push?

Michi Oshima michi.oshima at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:02:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

Yesterday I managed to send my first message to a browser.  Thanks for all
your help.

I've tried sending a few different types of messages, and it so far appears
to me the only thing I can send to a simple push client is a version
number.  Can a simple push client receive anything else other than version
numbers?  If so, what does the sender need to do, and what does the client
need to do?  (If there is a good example somewhere online I can work from
that also.)

My client application (javascript on browser) holds multiple types of data.
 It would be nice if I can send a notification saying "there's an update
for this data type", rather than just "there's an update".  Or, in general
it'd be nice if I can send more information than just a monotonically
increasing number.

Here's my setup:

   - AeroGear Push Server 0.10.0 hosted on OpenShift.
   - Sender is a JBoss app using org.jboss.aerogear.unifiedpush.JavaSender
   (unifiedpush-java-client-0.5.0.jar).
   - Client is a web browser using aerogear.js 1.4.0.

I read this documentation<http://aerogear.org/docs/specs/aerogear-push-messages/>,
but my wishful thinking refused to interpret it as saying: SimplePush
variants use the "extra simple-push object" only.

Thank you,

Michi Oshima