[aerogear-dev] Possible to send anything other than version number to simple push?

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:53:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Michi Oshima <michi.oshima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lucas,
>
> Following might do what I want (sending a "door bell" message in one shot
> to all variants)?  Send a unified message like the following one:
>

>    - '{ "message": { "version":"123" }, "simple-push": "version=123" }'
>

> One slight deviation is that mobile variants like iOS and Android will get
> the message regardless of whether the the version number is "old" or not.
>  Is this correct?

Yes iOS/Android ignore the version since that is really something tied to
Simple Push

> So I revisited the SimplePush spec<https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/SimplePush>,
> and I noticed it describes support for subscription to multiple channels.
>
> Aerogear doesn't allow multiple channels per installation, correct?  I dug
> up an old post from Matthias:
>

>    -
>    http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-SimplePush-Registration-of-quot-Mobile-Variant-instance-quot-w-Unified-Push-Server-tt2805.html#none
>
> Well yes,  but multiple installations can belong to the same SPS Client.
You can register multiple time, differentiate them by passing them a
category for instance.

>    -
>

> If an installation can subscribe to multiple channels, then it would allow
> me to get what I originally asked about:
>
> Me: 'My client application (javascript on browser) holds multiple types
> of data.  It would be nice if I can send a notification saying "there's an
> update for this data type", rather than just "there's an update".  Or, in
> general it'd be nice if I can send more information than just a
> monotonically increasing number. '
>

> What do you think?

That would be quite a breaking change and we need to discuss that, in the
same time, as said before, you can still register a single client to
multiple channels (and es you will have multiple installations but that do
not really matter)