[aerogear-dev] Allow Push Without Master-Secret?

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:55:24 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Florian Schrofner <
florian.schrofner at outlook.com> wrote:

> I thought about that too.. but I didn't really see the difference, since
> everybody who knows the link to the broker can also invoke a push without
> authentication, can't he?

Right, there is no difference, except that you don't have to patch UPS,
that you can later secure this REST endpoint and that you deleguate a
generic behaviour (sending push messages) to a single place.

> Also setting up another server just for forwarding request seems a bit
> overpowered to me (and a lot more work)..

I understand but put in balance the work to create a simple broker  and
maintain a patched UPS

> As long as I don't unintentionally open a huge security hole by patching
> the
> server it shouldn't make that much difference, should it?

Well if someone knows your MasterID he can potentially send millions of
notifications to all the devices :)

> Maybe we'll build the first prototypes using the patched aerogear server
> and
> switch to the broker later on.
> Nodejs would be the best option for the broker, I guess?

Yeah NodeJS could be a good option, look at this single NodeJS server page
that does almost all what you want :
https://github.com/sebastienblanc/hackergarten-messenger/blob/master/server/index.js

Thx again for your interest !