[aerogear-dev] aerogear-push-helloworld cordova version fails to register

chinballs brett.mclain at potashcorp.com
Mon Apr 28 16:24:26 EDT 2014

I am currently unable to get the cordova version of the hello world app to
run on my 4.3 android phone.  I have built and deployed the android version
successfully. It registers with my push server (shows up in the variant)
that is hosted on open shift, receives messages that I send out, etc.

The cordova version is another story.  I ran cordova add android, then
cordova plugin add org.jboss.aerogear.cordova.push; both completed
successfully.  I then used the exact same configuration from the android
version to replace the values in index.js to act as my configuration.

I then ran cordova build android, and cordova run android.  The application
installs successfully on my phone, runs, and tells me that is has registered
successfully.  However, when I look at my variant, I don't see it
registered.  I have added logging messages to the aerogear-push.js file, and
can confirm that the register() function is not returning prematurely.

I then verified that nothing funny was showing up in the logs with regards
to anything related to aerogear, cordova, or the push service. The only
message of any note was this:

I/dalvikvm( 6598): Could not find method
org.apache.cordova.CordovaWebView.setWebContentsDebuggingEnabled, referenced
from method org.apache.cordova.CordovaWebView.setup
W/dalvikvm( 6598): VFY: unable to resolve static method 26844:
Lorg/apache/cordova/CordovaWebView;.setWebContentsDebuggingEnabled (Z)V

Other than that, there are no errors, no warnings, nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to debug this further? I'm pretty stumped
at this point as to why it's saying it registered successfully when it
clearly didn't.  Here are the other debugging steps that I took:

a.) Created a new application on the push server with a new variant.  I was
concerned that since I already used the android version on this phone that
it wouldn't register with the cordova application.  I changed over the
details of the cordova application in the index.js file and nothing changed.
b.) I tried changing the configuration in index.js to some garbage URL with
bogus variant information and the application doesn't hiccup at all, it
still says that it registered successfully, and all the log messages
indicate that everything went well.  This leads me to believe that it's not
even bothering to call out at all...