[aerogear-dev] AeroGear UnifiedPush server build feedback

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Tue Aug 5 15:56:07 EDT 2014

Good morning peeps,

I would like to open this thread to discuss some ideas about how to
improve the current build on Push server. Lukas have been doing a
stellar job improving it and I think we can help.

Yesterday I spent some time trying to build a developer environment for
UPS — was a good exercise to realize how people feel trying to contribute.
The goal was to build the environment from scratch.

Here comes some feedback (keep in mind that I'm not that good on Node.js)

- Build our dependencies takes a considerable time. For fair
  reasons, we are running mvn install, npm install and bower install
  for the first time. Maybe we can reduce one step?

- Java developers don't have their environment ready for Node — it can
  be a blocker. For example, was necessary to install gcc, libpng and
  libpng-devel. I already saw team members struggling with it, like me.

- Maybe we should run -Pdev by default and run the complete build only
  for CI.

- Maybe we can minify some JS dependencies and don't build
  everything altogether?

I built an image[1][2], because developers willing to just use UPS with the
latest bits might struggle to configure their environment and maybe it
can be helpful.

The image is not perfect and soon will be moved to jboss/dockerfiles.

Thoughts?

[1] - https://github.com/abstractj/docker/tree/master/aerogear-unifiedpush-dev
[2] - https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/abstractj/unifiedpush-dev/
--