[aerogear-dev] [sync] To pipe or not to pipe?

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 11:42:25 EST 2014

On 02/04/2014 03:04 AM, Corinne Krych wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I started doing demo app Buddies and Hobbies [1] (same idea than luke’s one [2]). But instead of usin gcomplete separate chanel I wrapped Pipe within SyncPipe [3]. Questions:
> 1. looking at Luke’s work I didn’t see the usage of pipe at all.
> 2. do we want to reuse Pipe protocol/interface for sync Pipe or use a different one?
> I rather use the pipe underneath as we don’t want to reimplement Paging, upload etc...
> wdyt guys?
I don't think extending Pipe is the best idea. However, I feel that any
synchronizer should use pipes under the hood.

Think composition over inheritance. Also overloading the read and save
methods will get rather rough when we also have to check for conflicts
and handle responses from the server.

A SyncPipe could be the implementation the sync system works in iOS, but
I don't think it should be part of the spec/protocol.