[aerogear-dev] Geottagged notifications

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Feb 24 08:15:44 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Miguel Lemos <miguel21op at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very important matter, as you may know.
>
> At the present moment, i don't know how to use it with Aerogear.
>
>  I can use a trick to do that: I send a push notification without the
> "alert" token and I store it silently locally (I found out that without the
> "alert" parameter the notification will not show in the notification tray
> if the app is running in the background).

regarding the 'alert' key, a little bit of background: The alert is a
_reserved_ key word from apple: if included it shows the notification in
the operating system. Without any custom code. If 'alert' is missing -
Apple ignore it, if the app is in the background..... That's really all
Apple - not us; I believe, not 100% sure, we implement the same for
Android. Erik might know;

> Later on, I trigger the alert if the location criteria is matched (of
> course, I must send geo-coordinates and a radius as message parameters). Is
> there a more effective / logical way to do that?

I think that's really more a question of the general workflow of your app.

When you say "Later on, I trigger the alert if the location criteria is
matched", what does that mean ? Or more, how do you know there is a match
so that you can send the send notification?

Does the device save its current position on your php server / database?

Not sure what you are building, but I'd think that if the device gets a
certain location (from first push), and later on, the device comes 'closer'
there could be even a local way to notify the user: Dude you arrived